Home remedies for allergic rhinitis
Allergic rhinitis is a condition when the body evokes an immune response to foreign particles. The symptoms include allergy, nasal congestion or runny nose, sneezing, teary and redness in eyes, etc. Allergic rhinitis is alternatively called hay fever. Medical treatment is needed for a complete cure, but the home remedies also help improve the symptoms quickly.
We tell you some natural home remedies for allergic rhinitis.
- Blend pure honey with some tulsi leaves. Make sure you have two teaspoons of this concoction every day after getting up in the morning. Continue this therapy even after you have been cured to ensure long term immunity.
- Vitamin C boosts your immunity naturally as it is rich in bioflavonoids. You can either have vitamin C supplements or derive it from natural ingredients. Eat lots of citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits, lemons, etc. Have the juice of raw amla regularly to protect yourself from allergies.
- You can use vaporizers of aromatic oils like eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, and menthol. Pour a few drops of these oils in a vessel of water. Inhale the vapor to relieve a blocked nose.
- Sip hot soups made out of chicken and vegetables rich in carotenoids like carrots, beetroot, spinach, etc. Add finely chopped ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. These ingredients aid in quick healing.
- Chilli peppers contain a compound known as capsaicin, which is an excellent anti-allergic. You can chop them and add as a culinary ingredient while making soups.
- Have a few cuppas of herbal teas to alleviate the symptoms of allergic rhinitis. You can substitute caffeine drinks with chamomile tea and green tea. They are excellent home remedies for nasal congestion.
- Eat foods rich in omega-3-fatty acids as it is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties. Include nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios, etc.), seeds (flaxseed, sunflower seeds), salmon, sardines, tuna, etc.
- Blend your foods up with loads of spices and herbs like mustard seeds, ginger, garlic, onion, cinnamon, cumin seeds, horseradish, licorice, lemongrass, parsley, etc. All these herbs have inflammatory properties that protect you from allergies.
- If you experience itchiness and irritation in your eyes, then you use water- diluted calendula liquid to rinse your eyes to eliminate allergies.
- Irrigate your nose with saline water. This cleansing action eradicates not only nasal congestion but also kills other allergy-causing bacteria and other microbes. Also, rinse with warm saline water to get considerable relief from sore throat.
- Doctors also say that consumption of probiotics and cultured foods containing gut friendly lactobacillus and bifidobacterium bacteria also keep the system free of toxins. This, in turn, improves the immunity of the body.
- Prevent contact with allergens that cause allergy and nasal congestion. In this regard, protect yourself from pollen, pet dander, dust, irritants, mold, cockroaches, dust mites, etc. You can use a mask before getting out of the home. Keep your room humidified and avoid staying in a cool and dry environment.
You can follow these home remedies along with your doctor’s advice. The symptoms take around a week to disappear. So take care of your health.