Week 12 is exciting and vital at the same time. It’s because you are completing your first trimester (3 months), and your baby is completing some significant growth and developmental milestones inside your womb. So read on.
Your baby at pregnancy week 12
In the 12th week of your pregnancy, your baby will measure 5-6 cm and weigh about 14 grams. It will be as big as a lime.
The developmental progress of the fetus in this week is explained below.
- The digestive system will mature and take up the specialized function of the contraction movement. It will move back inside the abdomen.
- The pituitary gland becomes active. It is capable of producing hormones.
- Your baby’s immune system will function as the bone marrow can now make white blood cells.
- The fingernails will start developing, and all other physical structures like toes, fingers, ears, nose, eyes, etc. will continue taking proper shape. Your baby can perform sucking actions at week 12.
- External genital organs will mature. Kidneys can make urine efficiently.
- You can listen to your baby’s heartbeat with an external Doppler device.
If you have missed any genetic screening tests in the previous weeks, your doctor will conduct them at week 12. Apart from that, the most exciting thing about pregnancy week 12 is listening to your baby’s heartbeat. Yes, you can hear the typical beating sound.
Apart from this, your doctor might ask you for a urine test and blood test to check your vitamin levels, hemoglobin, sugar, and other parameters. Urine infection will be ruled out with a routine urine test.
Your body at pregnancy week 12
Morning sickness reduces
Mild nausea, dizziness, and food aversions may be there. But with the onset of week 12, most pregnant women start feeling better as morning sickness almost goes away.
Characteristic black spots, called melasma, can show up on your cheeks and forehead due to increased hormonal activity. They disappear after delivery.
You will begin gaining weight now, and it will be evident on your physical makeup. Although you may or may not appear to be pregnant yet, you will certainly feel the heaviness in your body.
The black portion or areola surrounding your nipple will become darker. You will experience heaviness and tenderness in your breasts.
With the end of the first trimester, you will begin to feel a little easy on self. That feeling of general tiredness and experiencing mood swings now and then will certainly mellow down.
Self-care tips at pregnancy week 12
- Let your doctor know if you experience any unusual symptoms like blood discharge, fluid leakage or dark patches on the skin, excessive urination, too much weakness, etc.
- Apply ice pack compress when you feel too much tenderness in and around your breasts. Invest in comfortable undergarments during this time. Also, avoid wearing extreme body-hugging clothes that would squeeze you in. Comfortable pants must be in your maternity shopping list.
- Since you are gaining weight at a random pace, make sure you do not overeat or binge on unhealthy fast foods or restaurant take-aways. Give yourself and your baby proper nourishment with balanced meals.
- Avoid alcohol and carbonated beverages. Stay hydrated. Drink fresh juices, tender coconut water, and normal water to maintain proper fluid balance in your body.
- Ask your gynecologist regarding traveling. Your job might demand traveling, so take the safety tips from your doctor and make arrangements accordingly.
- You can start doing some kegel exercises. These are pelvic muscle targeted floor exercises that help in smooth normal delivery. Talk to your doctor regarding this.